T1 Personal Tax Return Checklist


This is What We Need to Prepare Your Personal

and Sole Proprietor Tax Returns..


1.  A list of everyone we will be doing T1 Personal Tax Returns for

Full Name
1a.  SIN Numbers
1b.  Dates of Birth
1c.  Full Address and Phone Number
1d.  Canadian Citizen?
1di. If so, would you like to register with Elections Canada?
1e. Are you or would you like to sign up for Online CRA mail?
1ei. If signing up please list email for each person signing up

2. Marital Status

2a. If we are not Filing the spouse return still need the following information
2a1. Spouse Name
2a2. Spouse SIN
2a3. Spouse Date of Birth
2a4. Spouse NET Income

3. Any Dependents (If any, we need all info )

3a. Dependent Name 
3b. Dependent Date of Birth
3c. Dependent relationship to taxpayer
3d. Dependent Net Income (If any)

4. Do you own property outside of Canada over $100,000 in value?

 5. Did you dispose of a property for which you are claiming principal residence?

 6. Do you have any rental properties or investments?

7. Previous Year’s Tax Return

8. All Canada Revenue Agency correspondence

9. Notice of Assessment / Reassessment

10. Sale or Deemed Sale of Stocks, Bonds or Real Estate

11. Are You a Sole Proprietor? Claim Business, Farm or Fishing Income and Expenses

11a) Profit and Loss (aka Income Statement) 

Format:    (Note: the following numbers should not include GST)

Annual Revenues: $0,000.00

(Separated by Category of Expense)

Accounting Fees
Bank Service Charges
Material and Supplies
Medical Expenses
Office Supplies

Profit: $0,000.00

Regarding Business GST

11b) Would you like for SBTA to file your GST? ($150 + GST)
11c) If yes, provide GST Summary Report(s)

Regarding Business Use of Home Office

11d) Provided you don't have an office outside of your home, you are allowed to pay yourself for the use of an office inside your home as a reimbursed expense - tax free!

11e) Your home office should have office furniture and equipment to qualify... NOT a dining room table, kitchen table, bed, etc.

11f) Calculate what percentage of your home is being used for business by measuring the square footage of your home office and dividing the square footage of your home. So for example, if your home office is 360 square feet and your home is 1,800 square feet: 360 divided by 1,800 = .20 or 20%. Therefore you can expense 20% of the following home expenses...

11g) Mortgage Interest if you own your home and have a mortgage or rent if you don't own your home

11h) Utilities: oil, gas and electricity

11i) Insurance

11j) Cleaning Supplies

11k) Property Taxes if you own your own home

11l) Maintenance and Repairs to your home

11m) Maintenance and repairs to your home office can be calculated at 100%. For example, if you paint only your office, you can claim 100% of the paint and painter.

12. Automobile / Travel Log Expenses

13. All T4 slips (Employment income)

14. Employment insurance benefits (T4E)

15. Interest, dividends, mutual funds (T3, T5)

16. Tuition / education receipts (T2202A)

17. Universal Child Care Benefit (RC62)

18. Old Age Security and CPP benefits (T4A-OAS,T4AP)

19. Other pensions and annuities(T4A)

20. Social assistance payments (T5007)

21. Workers’ compensation benefits (T5007)

22. Disability Tax Credit Certificate

23. Volunteer Firefighters certification

24. Northern resident’s deductions

25. Sale or deemed sale of stocks, bonds or real estate

26. Rental income and expense records

27. Declaration of Conditions of Employment (T2200)

28. RRSP contribution slip

29. Tax-Free Savings Account deposits

30. Support for a child, spouse or common law partner

31. Professional or union dues

32. Medical expenses

33. Transit pass receipts

34. Charitable donations

35. Political contributions

36. Child care expenses

37. Adoption expenses

38. Children’s arts and sports programs

39. Moving Expenses

40. Interest paid on student loans

41. Carrying charges and interest expenses

42. Exams for professional certification